First Four Weeks at Fèis Rois!


So I'm four weeks into my internship at Fèis Rois here in Dingwall, Scotland. It's hard to believe that it was over a month ago now that the National Celtic Festival was in full swing and the gang from Scotland and Canada were Australia! The time has flown by.

I jumped straight in the deep end in my first week, end-of-year concerts for the after school classes in Ullapool and Evanton, a board meeting and a trip to Skye in addition a full week of work. Fiona and the Fèis Rois team have been so welcoming, helping me to get a grasp of the broad range of projects and programs Fèis Rois runs around Scotland.

In my time at the Fèis Rois office, I've been reviewing the organisation’s Gaelic Language Policy, looking to develop a strategic plan to strengthen our work in promoting the Gaelic language and encouraging its use at Fèis Rois into the future. I have also been working on an upcoming Gaelic immersion fèis weekend for university students across Scotland, which allows fluent speakers to come together to hang out, speak Gaelic and take workshops in Gaelic song, drama, step dance and group work.

I spent the week last week down in the Central Belt, looking at language planning in these urban settings, where many of the country's Gaelic speakers are concentrated. I had the amazing opportunity to work with the Gaelic Officers at the Universities of Glasgow and Edinburgh, Fiona Dunn and Bria Mason, looking at the various programs they run at the universities and discussing the writing and implementation of Gaelic Language Plans. I was also lucky to meet Linda NicLeòid, the Arts and Culture Development Officer at An Lòchran, an organisation which works to develop and promote Gaelic arts and culture in Glasgow and engage with the city's large Gaelic community. After having read so much on the topic, it was a treat to see the theory in practice, and to discuss language planning issues in the Scottish context.

As the launch of Fèis Rois' Ceilidh Trails approaches, I've been assisting in the preparation for the program, particularly with media and publicity. A number of other fèisean also have Ceilidh Trail programs for young musicians over the summer. These programs play an important role in Gaelic language promotion; in addition to its role in young musicians’ professional development and growing Scotland’s cultural tourism, it is a great way to showcase Gaelic language and culture on a national scale.

There's also been time for fun - as all work does make Jack a dull boy. I got to witness my first ever Shinty match - a brutal mixture between hockey, hurling and lacrosse - at Bugh Park in Inverness, I've had a few tunes and drinks around town and during my time down in Edinburgh and Glasgow.

This Friday Maxim Cormier from Cape Breton Island and myself will be joining local young musicians from Fèis Rois to perform for the arrival of the Queen's Baton Relay in Dingwall, Ross-Shire. The training week for the Ceilidh Trail starts on Monday in beautiful Cromarty on the Black Isle, just north of Inverness. Things are really gearing up!



...

This entry was posted on Thursday, July 10, 2014 and is filed under ,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

Leave a Reply